The NSWCDE is the peak body representing NSW Teacher Education Providers, University Faculties and Schools of Education. The NSWCDE leads the delivery and development of education programs, partnerships and research. It acts as an advocate for pre-service and in-service teacher education.
The NSWCDE fulfils its role by
- Providing a forum in which Deans of Education and others concerned with education meet to share information about education,
- Facilitating collaboration in education including facilitating collaboration of special interest groups within education,
- Encouraging and supporting research in education,
- Establishing mechanisms for monitoring the quality and status of education,
- Debating education issues of policy and administration,
- Providing independent professional comment and advice to Government and other agencies on issues in education,
- Providing an informed public voice on matters associated with education,
- Affiliating with other organizations with interests in education.
NSWCDE is the state affiliate of the Australian Council of Deans of Education for New South Wales.